Thursday, September 10, 2009

New Dream Blog Post!

After a three month hiatus, I have finally updated my dream blog again. Over the summer there were two main reasons that I lapsed in my dream-blogging: 1) My new laptop doesn't have a mouse, making it difficult to do the MS Paint illustrations that I make for each entry; and 2) a general dearth of interesting dreams. But my new roommate Peter just gave me a mouse for my laptop and I've started to have some fairly interesting dreams again lately. (Perhaps the two events are connected?)

The new dream post is actually a dream I had back in April when I was visiting my sister Emily in Minnesota. I had always meant to blog about it but I didn't feel compelled to follow through until I heard a piece of news yesterday during my visit to a screenwriting class. I am in the final year of my doctorate and I have officially finished all my coursework, but the university is allowing me to take a free class of my choice just for fun and I chose screenwriting. I went to the first class yesterday and I was in waaaaay over my head. The class is supposed to be taken by juniors or seniors in the film department and it requires a ridiculous amount of work that I'm unequipped to execute. Nevertheless, the class was enthralling and the teacher said he wouldn't mind if I wanted to come to just observe class during the rest of the semester.

During the class last night the head of the screenwriting department made a cameo appearance (cameo is a word us screenwriters use) to tell us that tonight (Thursday, September 10) the University of Michigan is hosting the world premiere of the locally-made indie film Whip It (featuring a cameo by our very own Katherine Downie), and that director/star Drew Barrymore is going to be present to answer questions afterward. How awesome is that? Drew-Freaking-Barrymore! And it's free! So if you are interested in going to the screening tonight (it starts at 6:00 but I think it would be smart to get there really early), give me a call soon.

P.S. If you want to know what the connection is between the Whip It premiere and my new dream post, you'll just have to read it. (How's that for a hook? Hook is a term we talked about in screenwriting last night).

4 comments:

Melanie Carbine said...

Seriously, I read this blog 3 hours too late.

Emily said...

Sooo? How'd it go? Was she wearing an ice blue cape and gown with accompanying crown?

Jessica said...

So how was the flick?

Katherine said...

I can't believe you guys saw it before I did! Stupid Grand Rapids.