Monday, March 23, 2009

SST: How Crayons are Made

SESAME STREET TUESDAY

One month ago I posted a clip of Here is Your Life, calling it Sesame Street's version of How It's Made. However, Amy Jeppsen later reminded me about another series of clips on Sesame Street that show how things are manufactured in a much more informative and accurate way (no offense, Guy Smiley). The series included things such as saxophones, honey, and cheese, but the best of the series is easily the video abou how crayons are made:


Amy said that when she was a little girl, she used to hold the crayon up to her eye like the girl in the video, trying to see the liquid wax swirling around inside.

As a bonus, I found this video of some guy playing the music from the clip on the piano, complete with pop-up comments! What do you think - is he really cool or is he a mega-dork? Discuss.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I love this one! But obviously you already know that. I just always thought the world would be such awesome place if all you had to do was look at things a little more closely and their entire history would be opened up to you. Complete with music of course. And I think I kind of hoped that the world really was like that and I just hadn't figured out how to look closely enough yet.

Anonymous said...

Brian, you just made my day :-) The crayon video was always a favorite, but I didn't recall the music. Then, video #2 -- you rock, man.

Mike said...

I've got to say Brian, I always appreciate Sesame Street Tuesdays. Having pretty much never watched it as a kid, I feel like I'm doing some much needed catch up for what I missed. Plus it makes for a good break from everything else that I should be doing.

Sam G said...

Wow, these videos are great. I remembered the crayon video, but not the music (which I appreciate much more now).

The guy playing was a fun addition.

Nick said...

Heeey...The crayon that she puts in the box at the end, is not the same crayon that she was looking at. That is what I would have noticed when I was a kid.

Jessica said...

I remember this episode of Sesame Street! It was one of those early formative experiences that shaped my future career without my knowing it. I LOVE manufacturing companies and knowing how things are made (I have a plant tour obsession) and it all goes back to this episode.

Julie T said...

That is pretty weird...my son, Bryan Tanner (age 27, BYU graduate)shares so many of the same characteristics and interests you do! I will be interested to hear if he comments on your blog or otherwise contacts you! He is BIG into dreaming (crazy, epic movie type dreams) which he blogs about at length; he loves to sing (Men's Chorus), plays the Swedish Chef from Sesame Street every Christmas; loves basketball, movies, unusual photography, blogging, polling, facial hair-did the same goatee thing on his blog. His writing voice just sounds like you and his approach/delivery is so similar. I'll bet you two would really hit it off! Loved the musician- thought he was cool. And I prefer moustache. Thanks for letting me visit your blog and best of luck to you in the opera scene!