Resolutionary:
1. People who join a gym after the New Year, only to quit going within 3 months.
I couldn't find a free treadmill; the place was crawling with resolutionaries.
2. Of or describing the level of resolution of a digital image.
The pictures the client sent in this email are good for the brochure, but they are not resolutionary enough.
3. Having purpose and attitude leading to positive and fair outcomes.
Resolutionary thinking is the foundation of a global culture of collaboration.
4. Coined by the Lifted Research Group. An artist who seeks to advance the social, political and economic reform movements to an environmentally sound end through digital art.
Resolutionaries cringe at the thought of four more years of executive perversion.
[Editor's note: Those last two are pretty stupid.]
Dang - guess I can't cross "invent a groundbreaking, prize-winning word" off my resolution list - yet. I do have one resolution, though, for which I need your help, fair reader. In all of my 2008 blogging, I reached the 7-comment plateau on five occasions, never surpassing it. So this year I have a resolution to receive at least 8 comments on a post. So unless you to see me on December 31 pathetically commenting 8 times on my own post, please help me out with this. If you are comment rich, please give to the comment poor.
Together, we can make our resolutionary dreams come true.

12 comments:
I'll get the ball rolling.
Enjoyed your essay. Many years ago I invented a word which combines a Dutch word with an English epression. I still use it and to my knowledge, I'm the only one who does. It's fun be able to use a word not in the dictionary with which to either confound or impress.
This should be comment number 2.
Dad
Despite your dejection, I'm impressed. You came up with the word on your own and then discovered that it had already been coined. I think that has to count for something.
Glad to help out on the comment resolution.
Mom
Four comments, but I am only going to give you one official comment for all of them (see comment 3):
1. The internet makes it harder and harder to come up with original ideas. Or I guess just harder and harder to believe that one's ideas are original. If Jessica reads this, she should go look up antiproductive in the urban dictionary. So much for our socio-linguistic experiment.
2. Several weeks ago I began wondering if comments were dropping off on my own blog not because people had stopped loving me as I originally assumed, but because I almost never comment on anyone else's blog. So by commenting here, I am being resolutionary myself.
3. I think that if you get more than 7 comments on this blog entry because you asked for more than 7 comments, it doesn't count as much as if the 8 comments just naturally flow according to the inclinations of your readership. But...
4. ...that's okay, I still hope you pass your 7 comment barrier on this, and then, legitimately ;), on at least a few other posts this year.
You crack me up. I have faith that you can invent a new word this year. You're one of the more creative people I know, that's for sure! I'll do my best to help you with your goal. Here's a tip: talking about Magnum P.I.'s chest hair really gets people worked up in the comment section.
So if you do get more than 7 on this post, does that mean your pretty much done with your goals for the whole year? I like the kind of yearly goals that can be done the first day.
I really thought I was onto something with Momster, only to find it had about a million Google hits.
Not that I am trying to be the 8th commenter (and not that I believe that the 1st comment counted!) but I must say that definition #2 is pretty silly. In my many years of graphics, I have never heard of images referred to as resolutionary-- pixelized yes, but not your lovely word.
And I find it amusing that #1 only refers to gym memberships.
Hey, you did it!! :)
Does your comment really count? You could just comment 8 times on your own post. You'll have to come up with some official rules for comment counting.
I feel like my comment is superfluous, seeing as how you've already far surpassed your resolutionary goal. Nevertheless...
I dated a guy once who ALWAYS conversed with me via text messages. Even when he was driving. They went on for so long that I began to refer to them as "textversations." I've yet to hear anyone else use that word, so would like to claim it for the people of America! Or just for me. I'm selfish that way.
I refuse to comment o this blog out of principle. Oh wait... Dang it!
Post a Comment