Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sesame Street Tuesdays: The Inauguration

My friend Elizabeth has a weekly feature on her blog called "Wednesday Thoughts" that I really enjoy (My personal favorite thought: "Is 45 minutes too far to drive to TP someone?"). But I also really like the idea of having a regular weekly feature blog feature that showcases something that I really love and can perhaps brighten up your day a little bit. So I am inaugurating (get it - inaugurating?) a new feature today called ........(drumroll)..........

SESAME STREET TUESDAYS!

I don't know about you, but Sesame Street had a profound impact on me and helped shaped my personality and worldview. The timeless lessons found in the songs and skits will stay with me forever (at least I hope so - I would hate to suddenly forget the alphabet). I lamented to hear my sister tell me over Christmas break that her kids just aren't drawn to Sesame Street because everything is so flashy and in-your-face nowadays that Sesame Street's gentle charm just can't compete (no wonder the show has been taken over by the annoying Elmo - it's just Sesame Street's attempt grab the new generation's attention).

So I thought I would like to begin the series with one of my favorite Sesame Street songs of all time, "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon."



If you come see me when I eventually play my Potbelly gig you'll hear my guitar/harmonica/voice arrangement of this song.

(Not going to lie - this is going to be difficult to limit myself to just one Sesame Street clip per week. My mind is spinning with all the possibilities for the future. In case I didn't mention this earlier, I looooove Sesame Street.)

6 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I love Sesame Street too. Sad that kids today don't like it as much! This is my favorite line from your post:

"I would hate to suddenly forget the alphabet."

That really would be tragic. And weird. :)

I'm looking forward to more SS posts! I'm glad you have a weekly feature.

Amy said...

One great thing about having a sister seven years younger than me was that it gave me an excuse to keep watching Sesame Street way past the age that it was probably socially acceptable. The inauguration of Sesame Street Tuesdays just totally made my week.

Emily said...

I'm looking forward to "There are Chickens In the Trees" Tuesday.

PS- My word verification spells crajoyer. There's got to be a great definition out there for that one.

Mike said...

So, I'm excited for these Sesame Street Tuesdays...not for all the memories they'll bring back, but because I was never a Sesame Streeter. I think I've seen like one episode in my life. Now I'll get a taste for what I was missing, and fill in that void from my childhood.

Jan said...

Is it crazy for a mom to love Sesame Street, as well?... Not because it kept my kids occupied(and learning!)for an hour a day, but because I really did love it and had to tune in to get the lastest on Bob, Maria, Gordon & Susan, Mr. Hooper, Bert & Ernie, Kermit, Big Bird & Snuffy, Grover, etc., etc., etc. So, I'll be excited to see each week's installment Of Sesame Street Tuesdays!

Katherine said...

Brian!! That's my favorite Sesame Street song of all time, too!!! I love that show. I'll admit that I still have a Grover doll (which I got from my bff for my birthday...about 3 years ago...) and that he's in a painting I did a couple of years ago. I'm VERY excited for future clips. "Put Down the Ducky" gets a vote from me, plus the alphabet song (the Big Bird one, where he slurrs all the letters together)...good luck picking only one a week! ;)