Obviously I missed the point of the movie, because when I left the theater all I could think about was how cool it would be to have a world record in something, if only for a little while. So I went to the Twin Galaxies site to see if there were any world records that I could plausibly set. Most of the records are completely untouchable, but I noticed that no one had ever submitted a world record attempt for the fastest full completion (no warping) of Super Mario Bros. 2, a game which has always been a specialty of mine.
So I hooked Conrad up to the VCR (see this previous post for info on Conrad) and spent a couple of months practicing the game and timing myself, pushing myself to keep cutting my time. I realized that since there was no record to beat, I could have just sent in any tape of me completing the game, regardless of the speed and that would have been god enough. But If I'm gonna set a world record, I want to send in my very best, dangit! My initial attempts clocked in at about an hour, but I soon cut that down to about 38 minutes. I decided that I would send in my tape as soon as I broke 35 minutes. After a few more days I had done it: 34 minutes and 17 seconds. It was a thing of beauty to watch - every jump perfectly timed, nary a wasted motion, and I only died once - on the very last level.Two weeks ago I carefully packed my precious tape in a bubble-wrap insulated envelope and mailed my tape off to Manitoba to be reviewed by the "referee" (that's the official title of a video game record judge). I finally heard back from him today when he sent me the following email:
Brian,
I am writing to you with regretfully bad news. I
recieved your tape in the mail on Monday and due to
the current queue, I've just got to it at the moment
and was going to watch it before going to bed.
Unfortunately, when I took the tape out of the
jiffybag, the front panel of the tape fell right out
into my lap. As a result of this, nothing is there
protecting the tape and I am unable to view the tape
in its condition.
I can't say I've had this happen before.. so I am
at a loss for words... aside from wishing to offer you
an apology in accord to this, as there's no way I can
verify your tape in its condition or repair it either.
[The sides were too brittle to try and put things back
on.]
I'm sorry I have to be the bearer of such news as
I was really pumped about verifying this run. :(
Just like the videotape, my dreams were crushed. Maybe this will teach me the lesson I should have learned from the documentary - that pursuing a world record is a grand folly.
Yeah right! As soon as finals are over, I'll be right back at it. Plus, the Dr. Mario points record seems within my grasp as well. But this time I'll be smart and submit my scores digitally.

5 comments:
Best of luck to you, I can't wait to say I knew you when. PS, I'd love to challenge you to a match of Dr. Mario, though my skills have waned over the years, my enthusiasum is strong.
I don't know man... sounds kind of fishy to me. Are you sure this "referee" guy isn't just trying to beat you to the world record himself? These world record people are pretty shady characters, if ya know what I mean.
(Except that it'd be so cool if you were one of them!! I say go for it!!)
I think you best be careful, Billy Mitchell has nerdy thugs that will break into your house and rip Conrad apart and claim he'd been messed with. Obviously since you've had him so long, you have to have made modifications. And don't do any deals with Mr. Amazing or we'll all have to see more of his skin. "Ahhhhh! Fast forward! Who picked this movie."
Not only should you send in another tape to the governing body, you should send ME a tape, because I would love to watch that run.
In my physics class, someone's phone went off and it was the start of Super Mario music! It was so exciting, that the I sat through the rest of the class singing Nintendo music to myself.
We should play Nintendo together. Too bad there is no record for the worst and best players combined scores because we could win that. I love to play but I am terrible. Flailing and synchronizing the control panel with my on screen moves.
Post a Comment