Thursday, April 17, 2008

Beautiful Day

I think this picture of the lawn outside the music building says it all. (If you look closely you can see the barbecue set up near the wall and a football in mid-air.)

It's finally starting to warm up around here after a very long winter - we had a snowstorm as recently as Saturday - and it's as if everybody is starting to come out of hibernation. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they ban "Itchy and Scratchy" cartoons and suddenly all the kids of Springfield emerge from their houses where they had been indefinitely sequestered in front of the T.V. They initially shield their eyes against the brightness of the sun, but then they slowly remember how to play hopscotch and marbles and jump-rope, all accompanied by Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

It's 71 degrees outside, the sun is shining, I've wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and my new cheap flip-flops (my favorite kind), but the most beautiful thing about today is that I am done with school! I have spent most of this week in the computer lab until the wee small hours (wee = 4:30 a.m.) working on my final projects, but I just turned in my second major paper in as many days and now I'm done, baby! I survived the first year of my doctoral degree. One down, two to go.

Now it's time to start learning Così fan tutte...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for spring time!! You've given me hope to finish my own final paper Brian. The end is in sight and then it's off to Brazil! Woohoo!!

Emily said...

How did you get 71 degrees? We're thinking the fifties are lovely! I can't believe how fast that year went!

Map Maker said...

Chinelos! Are they Havaianas?

"Oh, oh, quer apanhar?" Did you ever see any chinelo beatings in Brazil? It was quite a sight. Dogs, children, Elders, beware.