Saturday, December 4, 2010

The True Meaning of Christmas

About seven or eight years ago I was invited to a party where I only knew one other person out of a tight-knit group of friends. On that night they indoctrinated me into a game they invented and played at every get-together. The game went like this:

1) One person in the group made up a fake movie title.
2) Everyone in the group wrote a short plot synopsis of the fake movie.
3) Each synopsis was read aloud and the group tried to guess which member of the group had written which synopsis.

It was a fun game and the group of friends all thought of some wildly imaginative fake movie plots, but since I had just met them it was hard for me to guess who had written what, with one exception - this one guy who ended every single synopsis with the phrase "... and three young sleuths discover The True Meaning of Christmas." Without fail. Every round.
A team of rogue botanists race to thwart a deadly race of mutant ferns that threatens to wipe out the entire population of French Guiana, and three young sleuths discover The True Meaning of Christmas.

A world-famous concert violinist suddenly becomes the target of a ruthless gang of pirates when he inherits a priceless Fabergé egg collection, and three young sleuths discover The True Meaning of Christmas.
Ever since then I can't hear the phrase "The True Meaning of Christmas" without chuckling and thinking of those three poor, eternally youthful sleuths (in Sherlock Holmes attire, naturally) who must walk the earth in an everlasting quest for The True Meaning of Christmas. I hope that someday in their travels they cross paths with Linus van Pelt, that they may finally rest from their labors.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha! I love that story. Why are some people so funny!? Makes me jealous. That guy sounds like a hoot. I love Linus, by the way. So good.

elliespen said...

That game sounds a lot like Beyond Balderdash, and also like a lot of fun.