Sunday, April 17, 2011

Terrible Life Choice



My life as a graduate student may be over, but I will still reap the benefits this tax season. Turns out that if you are a doctoral candidate who makes almost no money, the government likes to give you lots of money at tax time. For the record, I did make more than $600 last year, but not that much more (I made more money in my first 6 weeks at Yahoo! than I did all of last year), and my tax refund is equal to about 30% of my total income from last year. I'll take it!

3 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

haha! I love that clip!

What are you going to with your tax refund?

Amy said...

The first time I saw this clip I thought the guy at the end said, "No food for you grad students until you create 3000 papers," which (coming from a publishing-intensive field of study) struck me as insanely funny. So when I watched the clip again on your blog I was a little bit disappointed to realize that he actually said "grade." Especially since I have way more grading ahead of me than I ever had in grad school. But also way less paper-creating. Not complaining.

Here's to being able to move forward and find happiness and fulfillment in spite of a terrible life choice or two :).

Blissful Deviations said...

very very funny! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you enjoy your tax refund!