
Last Sunday we had a special joint Elders Quorum/Relief Society lesson on emergency preparedness, given by roommate Peter. After the lesson, I dug out my 72-hour kit to show it to Peter. It was a gift from my parents two years ago and upon pulling it out again I read the label:
72 Hour Food Supply (Oct 2007)
Suggested Rotation - 2 years
Guess it's time to rotate. So, at Peter and Seth's suggestion, I am going to live off of my 72 kit for the next three days.* It comes equipped with a handy itemized meal list, so here is what I am eating for lunch today:

A cereal bar, three strips of beef jerky, and a fruit snack pouch. I'm sure that if a huge disaster had occurred I would be thrilled to have all that to eat. However, in this time of peace and prosperity, that doesn't look like a whole lot of food. I hope that I'm not starving all the time over the next three days, but maybe it will help me understand the importance of gradually implementing a more expansive food storage plan.
* One decision I have made is that if I go somewhere and they are offering food (i.e. cookies after FHE tomorrow night) I will accept (and probably accept a whole lot). I mean, if there were a real disaster and the Red Cross swooped down and offered me a cookie, I wouldn't turn it down.
4 comments:
Right now if I were to live off my storage I would end up eating a lot of cake mix, mayonnaise (yuck), chocolate chips, airline peanuts and applesauce. It feels like there's some sort of creative baking contest concoction in all that, but it doesn't bode well for an emergency, or even a day when I come home and have nothing to eat for dinner. Today at Kroger I was thinking about last week's lesson and decided an extra box of pasta to start re-bulking up my food supply. Your roommate would be proud.
You are a food storage inspiration to us all. Thank you.
This is an open invitation for you to come over any time you get hungry and I'll make you some food. I'd do the same in an emergency, so this isn't cheating.
Interesting, as I was assembling 72hour kits a few years ago, I realized how stinkin' heavy they were with all the canned pineapple, soup, pork and beans, juice boxes, etc. and if I had to carry 3 of them (kids) plus mine in an evacuation, it would be crazy. Thus my idea that if I was REALLY in duress, I'd be happy to just have a big box of (light)granola bars and some water. It's only 3 days. Yes?
Post a Comment