My calling in the church is to be the co-chair of the Spiritual and Temporal Welfare Committee. You might ask, "What does that mean?" Good question. Our committee is in charge of a smattering of responsibilities, including service projects, the ward newsletter, emergency preparedness, employment services, housing aid, and sports night. However, one responsibility that can be easily overlooked is setting up chairs at the beginning of church and then taking them down at the end. Although there are people assigned to take care of the chairs, it seems that Elizabeth (the other co-chair, no pun intended) and I end up taking care of the chairs by ourselves.
A couple of weeks ago, Stephanie R. saw me putting up chairs all alone after church and went out and recruited a bunch of people from the lobby to help. Within thirty seconds, the job was done. It was great. As everyone was working together, I started to sing the "Cooperation" song from Sesame Street, but I got no looks of recognition from anyone in the room. That's a shame, because this song makes any group project or service activity more fun:
And as an added bonus (mostly for the benefit of my sisters), here's an all-time classic clip from Reading Rainbow that also promotes cooperation (or as they like to call it, "teamwork"):
Now everybody go out and cooperate on something! Go team! Take State!
Ok, that certainly was for my benefit! How in the world did you remember that Teamwork clip?? Two hilarious parts I'll mention: I remember laughing long ago about how one firefighter is trying to push out one of the inside girl firefighters, smooshing her. And just now I thought the final formation was going to be a big spelled out "TEAMWORK" with their shirts--but alas, they are all mixed up and there's just random letters everywhere. Watch for it.
I remember the cooperation song, but I didn't remember the scene. So, are you going to have some help on Sunday with the chairs after this??
So I have to admit, I just found your blog through your Facebook status. I love the idea of Sesame Street Tuesday. Great choice of clips today, too. The Cooperation song was a family staple while I was growing up and there was work to be done. (Dig it.)
Think that committee should also have a homework help aspect. It wouldn't be you doing my homework, but me supervising you doing my homework. Honestly, supervisory skills are more valuable than paper writing skills anyway.
I sing the cooperation song nearly everyday and I have never remembered to insert the "dig it" part. It makes it that much better. Favorite Reading Rainbow ever.
Follow Them to the Edge of the Desert
-
I dreamed that I was passing through Arizona with a bunch of friends from
Ann Arbor en route to Utah, but just before our caravan reached the border
we pas...
6 comments:
Ok, that certainly was for my benefit! How in the world did you remember that Teamwork clip?? Two hilarious parts I'll mention: I remember laughing long ago about how one firefighter is trying to push out one of the inside girl firefighters, smooshing her. And just now I thought the final formation was going to be a big spelled out "TEAMWORK" with their shirts--but alas, they are all mixed up and there's just random letters everywhere. Watch for it.
I remember the cooperation song, but I didn't remember the scene. So, are you going to have some help on Sunday with the chairs after this??
That cooperation song is really weird. I have a feeling it's going to be stuck in my head all day.
When I was a kid my favorite show was Reading Rainbow so I loved that clip! I totally remember that one. It is so cheesy.
So I have to admit, I just found your blog through your Facebook status. I love the idea of Sesame Street Tuesday. Great choice of clips today, too. The Cooperation song was a family staple while I was growing up and there was work to be done. (Dig it.)
Think that committee should also have a homework help aspect. It wouldn't be you doing my homework, but me supervising you doing my homework. Honestly, supervisory skills are more valuable than paper writing skills anyway.
I sing the cooperation song nearly everyday and I have never remembered to insert the "dig it" part. It makes it that much better. Favorite Reading Rainbow ever.
I had forgotten the Cooperation song. Of course, now that I remember it (dig it), my family will probably be subjected to it for weeks to come.
Post a Comment