Friday, April 10, 2009

Selling Out

After 10+ years of operating the Brian Presents: film lecture series with complete independence with an uncompromising artistic and cultural mission, I have decided to sell out. I was contacted by a potential sponsor a few weeks ago and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse: full refreshment coverage. How could I say no? So this Saturday evening will be the first time that Brian Presents: is being presented by someone else:

Fridge for Thought Presents: Brian Presents: Brief Encounter

All of those colons make it a little confusing, don't they? Don't worry about the integrity of Brian Presents: - I will maintain full artistic control of Brian Presents:, sponsors or no sponsors. I learned a valuable lesson about not bowing down to the demands of sponsors from the very best:



Speaking of selling out, the other day when I was updating my blog I noticed a new link besides the familiar blog options: Monetize. My interest was immediately piqued (we are talking about getting money for something I normally do for free), so I read through the info. Based on what I read plus what my friend Brady told me, on a low-traffic blog such as mine, it will take approximately forever before I see any money from it. They won't send you a check until you hit a hundred dollar threshold, which could conceivably take years. But hey - wouldn't it be great if in a few years I got a surprise check out of the blue for a hundred bucks?

So I signed up to monetize my blog and at the end of it there was a message saying that they would review my case and email me back in a 1-2 days to tell me if I have been accepted. Huh? It's been a few days already and I still haven't heard back from them. Upon reading through their policies I saw that they will not let you advertise with them if you post copyrighted material on your blog, which could possibly mean, say, Sesame Street clips. If that's the case, I absolutely refuse to sell out Sesame Street Tuesdays. That is, unless some big corporation wanted to come in and sponsor the series. I can see it now - Tostitos Presents: Sesame Street Tuesdays. Norelco Presents: Sesame Street Tuesdays. Energy Solutions Presents: Sesame Street Tuesdays. Cash4Gold.com Presents: Sesame Street Tuesdays. NASA Presents: Sesame Street Tuesdays. The possibilities are endless.

So if you are the head of a corporation and you've been tantalized by the possibility or sponsoring a feature on my blog, please leave your contact info in the comment space below and we can start hammering out a deal.

P.S. - Check out FridgeForThought.blogspot.com - it's an excellent product that I fully endorse!

3 comments:

Jess said...

I am confused! You will be at Brian presents but it is being sponsored by Fridge for Thought? What sort of refreshments can we expect from this new sponsor?

Mike said...

Way to sell out Brian, you make us proud! Maybe Fridge for Thought can monetize, and then they can afford to sponsor Sesame Street Tuesdays too. And what will Fridge for Thought bring for refreshments...I'm curious too.

Elizabeth Downie said...

I. LOVE. WAYNES. WORLD!! It's one of my ALL time favorite movies. That's a great clip!