Monday, February 16, 2009

Spoils of Valentine's Victory

When it comes to creative holiday contests, I'm in it to win it. My first Halloween in Ann Arbor we had a pumpkin carving contest at the institute, and I won it all for my deconstructed pumpkin triptych:

The prize included a baggie of candy, a few jack-o-lantern balloons, and a spooky ghost plastic cup that I use all the time, which can be seen in this post. Score! (I think my holiday arts and crafts competitiveness is in part motivated by my love of getting free stuff).

On Valentine's Day I went to a party featuring a Valentine Box-making contest, and once again I wanted to win it all. So I went with a design that had worked for me before - a Valentine's Box I made (read: my mom made it while I "helped") when I was in first or second grade:

I was working from memory so there may be a few superficial differences (like the flames - added because many people said it looked like a frog, not a dragon), but overall I feel like I captured the spirit of the original box. I probably spent way too much time constructing it, but I was very proud of the results and the grand prize I walked away with - a kissy lips key-chain that talks when you squeeze it:



I tried using it as a real key-chain, but unfortunately it's a little big to fit comfortably in my pocket and the thing went off accidentally three or four times in about a ten minute span. Not that I don't like hearing that a big pair of rubber lips loves me, but it got a little annoying.

Special thanks to my mom for the original design, to Stephanie R. for putting up the prize, and to Elizabeth Downie for the victory picture on the right. (And yes, that is Gilmore Girls paused in the background of the video.)

5 comments:

Kara said...

In addition to liking free stuff, isn't part of your drive to win a distaste for losing anything? Playing croquet with the honor's society comes to mind as a prime example of your ultimate drive to victory.
Love the key chain.

Elizabeth Downie said...

No one deserved it more than you. I love that picture because it really shows how incredibly happy you were! :)

I like the candy hearts on the tongue - I don't remember those from before! I'm still not sure how I feel about the shark fin but oh well. Too late now. ;)

Jess said...

I knew I had no chance against you Brian so I didn't even try, but I think your triumph may have prompted my time travel dream. I never got the Valentine you wen back in time to make for me:)

Kristin McElderry said...

That is a fine looking box. And rando about gilmore girls-- john caught part of one of the hs episodes on tv and asked me what ended up happening with Rory and jess... and I couldn't remember details. Yep, it is time to borrow your dvds...

MMMegan said...

You and I have oddly similar taste in tv shows. I too love Gilmore Girls, Pushing Daisies, and also Buffy. Good times. And I like the dragon.