Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Unfinished Business

When it comes to Brazil, it feels like I always have unfinished business. Back on July 7th I started a blog entry about the Amazon. This was the opening paragraph:

Greetings from "O Norte," the North. I had never been to northern Brazil before last Thursday, but I had always heard a lot about it - about how it´s killer hot, it feels like a totally different country from the rest of Brazil, and it´s dirty and less organized than the South. Guess what - all those things are true!

But then we went down to southern Brazil and I never finished that post. On July 12 I wrote the following: "When I am settled back at home I´m planning on posting more pictures and recapping other parts of the trip including: The Amazon! Iguaçú Falls! Other stuff! Stay tuned..." I guess four months should qualify as enough time to get settled back at home, so I'll make good on my promise. Apologies to all that have been in suspense for all that time.

Since a picture's worth a thousand words, I'll let my pictures from my trip to Brazil do the talking:



If a picture's worth a thousand words, a video must be worth, like, a gajillion. Here's a video from down inside the Garganta do Diabo at Iguaçú Falls:



I still feel like I have some last words to say about my return to Brazil, but for now that too will remain unfinished business.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, ew! I wish you hadn't put up the blood picture again. I thought I'd finally gotten that image out of my mind. But I'm glad you finally finished that unfinished entry, because that's been haunting me almost as much as the blood picture. Okay, maybe neither of those has been haunting me that much...

Brian said...

I know, I know - nobody likes the blood picture. But it was a really striking moment for me and a reminder that Brazil is a land of contrasts; it's both a magical land of breathtaking vistas and a dangerous place where people bleed on the bus. Just trying to maintain some perspective here.

That said, I hereby promise that I will retire the blood picture.

Mom G said...

What an adventurer you are! The pictures are amazing. Brazil is beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Elizabeth Downie said...

That blood picture so distracted me that I never looked at the video before. That place is SO cool! I'm jealous!