Every Monday night my ward has 'Sports Night' in the church gym - an hour and a half of soccer followed by an hour and a half of volleyball. I never went to it for the first several months that I was in the ward because I've never been a very sportsy kind of guy, but I decided to go for the first time about a month ago. I live such a sedentary lifestyle that I figured I could use some physical activity in my life. I found that my soccer skills were pretty much where I left them back in elementary school - out of control with much inept flailing around and maniacal laughter. However, I've played soccer at Sports Night for four straight weeks now and I'm really starting to enjoy it and I'm getting a lot better. I'm certainly no Ronaldo (although I often wear my knock-off Ronaldo jersey I bought in Brazil during the 2002 World Cup), but now I can aim when I kick (to a certain degree) and I make much better decisions, instead of the old "Me kick ball hard!" mentality.I also went to play on our ward basketball team last Saturday in the stake basketball tournament. I hadn't played in a basketball game in some 15 years, but I thought that since I watch so much basketball I would have absorbed some mad skillz, but it turns out that I have no recognizable basketball ability whatsoever. Oh well - I'll just keep living vicariously through Williams and Boozer. Go Jazz!
P.S. - My birthday is on Thursday!

2 comments:
That's funny, because when I watch an old Pistol Pete Marovich video on YouTube before I play basketball, mad skills start coming out my ears.
These guys at the local rec center yesterday said I was like Charles Barkley in my hard drive to the hoop.
Maybe you just need to watch more.
Brian, Happy Birthday! Be sure to check your e-mail today- wouldn't want you to miss a great performance by the singing sock! We're hoping you got your gift sent by Dad. He thought you lived on Landshire, so it may come back to us. Anyway, have an awesome day! We'll try to call you sometime today. Love, Mom
Post a Comment