SESAME STREET TUESDAY
In the episode of Gilmore Girls where Sookie throws an engagement party for Lorelai and Max, Rory has the following conversation with Lane, who is playing DJ:I'm trying to find the same blend with my Sesame Street Tuesday selections. This week's choice falls into the "out-of-left-field, should-be standards" category. However, this one definitely was a standard in the Tanner household growing up. We all used to quote it all the time, but then about ten years ago no one knew what I was talking about anymore so I stopped. But maybe I can start up again since now you'll all be in on the reference:RORY: Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on.
LANE: How's it sound?
RORY: Great.
LANE: I'm trying to find that subtle blend of not-too-cliché-sounding traditional tunes with out-of-left-field, should-be standards.
RORY: Well, the Sinatra medley was great. I'd maybe skipped playing anything else by The Damned.
LANE: Got it.
I love how Sesame Street teaches so much more than numbers and letters; it teaches important life skills, like remembering to water your plants. This sketch has stayed with me for decades - when I see my roommate Micah's sad little plant dying for a drink over on his table I'll water it for him, all the while saying to myself, "Wow, man. I've got to remember that. How could I be so duuuuuummb? Plants need water, man!"
P.S. - I always loved the show the girl was watching at the beginning - just this big cat looking into the camera and opening it's mouth a bunch of times.

9 comments:
I can't believe it's Tuesday already.
Our houseplants are doing very poorly at present. I asked my pro-gardner friend what was wrong with them. OVER watering! I'd soaked their roots to death. Does SS have a video for that one?
I remember that one
I don't think I've ever seen that one but it was pretty funny. "Plants need water, man!" What's up with the way that guy is talking!?
Great clip. I had forgotten that one, but I will probably be quoting it for the next few weeks.
I had totally forgotten about that one and I used to quote it all the time. No wonder my only plant just made it into the garbage. How could I be so dumb?
That was fun. Hope you're doing well!
I love this!!! I had totally forgotten about it! Thanks for bringing it back. :)
ps...my word verification was "rewelyt". Sounds very british to me.
I am a little concerned with the under-toned condoning or marijuana use. Let's be honest no one is that chill naturally. Which makes me wonder just what kind of plant is that?????
I agree with Jessica - those "kids" seem a little "mellow" to me... In other news, I ordered some "Aqua Globes" (as seen on TV) a while ago and use one to water the plant in my office. It does the work for me, man!
And when you say "Stopped talking about it" you mean only quoted it once a week right? The fact that I have been quoting this for the past few years is evidence it lived on even through its own proverbial dry-spell.
Post a Comment